Sunday 3 May 2015

Third Week of Unit X

From all the samples I produced, I felt that I was doing well from; material choice to placement of materials. However, from a one to one tutorial with my designated tutor, I was informed that the sale of my samples were too small. So she suggested that I go away and carry on sampling but on larger scale. And also not be afraid of sewing/ carrying off from the fabric. This would give an understanding on how the whole piece would look like; if it will be bordered, centred, carried on etc. After following her advice, I completely understood where she was coming from. Also the samples looked better.

Cornely Machine Sample




This week I was introduced to the cornely machine. The left image is what my first experimenting sample. From far it looks like the lines on your fingers but when looking closer, you can see the different stiches. The colours used here was simply from what I had access to. After this session, I feel very grateful to the machine because I can now work faster instead hand stitching my samples.

The image on the right was an extermination on how else I could use the technique of the Cornley machine and using found materials. This pieces if PVA glue trapped with cello tape and different shades of blue trapped within it as well. I tried shaping the thread like the cornely usually does. I really like how this turned out but I don’t think I will be carrying this out any further.   

Peer Review


From this week’s peer review, while explaining my work so far, I noticed I kept going off my colour theme. For example this red piece with denim embellished in. My colour pallet throughout my sketchbook consisted of shades of whites and creams and black. So randomly selecting materials didn’t really link my research or idea clearly. So from here, I went out and bought materials that links with my colour pallet.

This is the last week till the Easter break but I am still unsure what my final piece will look like; whether it will be a rectangle or square piece.


Friday Drawing Day - Whitworth Art Gallery



Made from plastic bin bags.
Made by different used jeans.
Moments captured by a phorographer of everyday life.


Most of the art pieces that I captured on my visit to the Whitworth Art Gallery were made from found objects or everyday objects. One installation that took my interest was the above image of coloured triangles. I really like the subtle colours used, the light that came in through the window also played a huge part on how the piece looks. Looking back at my research trip at Blackpool, this piece reminded me of the coloured lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment