Friday 8 May 2015

Sixth Week of Unit X

This week I finally decided what I wanted my finally piece to look like, what format, and what placement should be included on it. As a result, for the final piece I had to quickly plan what I was going to do the next 3 days in order to finish the piece.


The decision for choosing to work with a rectangle piece was from looking at my Friday drawind session where I was challenged to draw a matchstick on a large scale.

I began hand stitching some areas but realised that it would be impossible to do the whole thing by hand within this weeks without me messing up. Therefore, I did some fingerprints by hand and some by the help of the domestic machines.
Hand stitching
With the help of the domestic machine, I was able to work faster and new ideas and techniques developed along the way. An example is that when I was rushing to complete my piece, a lot of thread began gathering when I would forget to chop them off. From this I left it as it was; it linked in with how the base of my material was and also the edges.
Domestic Machine


During this week, there was a tutorial.in this tutorial while I was explain my intention for my final piece. After talking about it, my tutor mentioned that I have been jumping around in this unit a lot and that my work does not seem to be linking clearly due to that. I understood that but now it was too late to make changes.

Friday Drawing Day


Today’s session was extremely helpful. I was able to understand how my final piece would be visually effective. Instead of hanging it as a long piece, I could present it on plinths or boxes. My tutor also mentioned my large scale drawing and how I could co-operate that drawing within my final piece. I’m feeling unsure about this idea because it doesn’t seem like a good link in my head but we’ll have to see by experimenting on the day of setting up at the Federation House for the show!

The back of the piece seemed appealing so I thought about how I could showcase the back and front of my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment